Search

Custom Search

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

My Take on UFC 82

    MAIN CARD
  • Anderson Silva vs. Dan Henderson (for the UFC Middleweight Title)

As always, these two will start feeling each other out with Henderson taking on a late surge in the first round and ending on top of Silva. The second round, Silva will try and clinch but Henderson will continue to take the fight to the ground. Silva will try some submissions and eventually both will stand. The third round is where Silva will break out and connect on a series of punches and kicks and bring Dan Henderson down. I say Silva will win in round three via TKO to retain the UFC Middleweight Title!

  • Heath Herring vs. Cheick Kongo

This is a very intriguing match up. Kongo is very strong and fights very well standing up being that he is a former kickboxer. Now, Herring is a jack of all trades and loves to punch it out as well. Early on, Herring looked good against Nogueira as Kongo looked good against Cro Cop. This really could be a toss up but I'm going to go with Herring winning via Unanimous Decision.

  • Alessio Sakara vs. Chris Leben

This is Sakara's first fight at middleweight so it should be interesting to see how Leben reacts. I believe that round 1 will be a feel out process with Leben almost giving away to Sakara...but in round 2, Leben comes together and catches Sakara with a combo and drops him to the mat. Leben wins in round 2 via KO and ruins Sakara's debut at middleweight.

  • Yushin Okami vs. Evan Tanner

I really like Evan Tanner. From what I've read, he's really changed his ways and I would love to see him come out ahead. I've read quite a bit about his training at evantanner.net and just learned more and more about him. Now, Yushin Okami we know is very strong. We've heard it from multiple fighters. I'm thinking that Okami will come out on top here in round 2. He will be way too strong, won't get caught in any of Tanner's submissions and will win via referee stoppage. Okami via TKO round 2.

  • Chris Wilson vs. Jon Fitch

Fitch is too strong. He's on a roll and I don't see him losing to Chris Wilson. Wilson is a sub so we should see how well he prepared for someone like Jon Fitch. I'm going to go with Jon Fitch via rear naked choke in round 1.

    PRELIMINARY CARD

  • Jake O’Brien vs. Andrei Arlovski

Arlovski's last fight was in April of 2007. He's had a long layoff, but I don't think it will hurt him too much. I think the two will feel each other out for the first round with the crowd giving plenty of boos but then in the second round Arlovski will come alive and beat O'Brien via GNP with the referee stepping in and giving him his first loss.

  • Luigi Fioravanti vs. Luke Cummo

Fioravanti is a tough kid, but after a promising fight against Menne, he lost back to back against Jon Fitch and Forrest Petz. He went outside the UFC and won via TKO however I think that Cummo will be too much and will win via Unanimous Decision.

  • Dustin Hazelett vs. Josh Koscheck

Like I said in my earlier post, KOS by TKO in round 1.

  • John Halverson vs. Jorge Gurgel

I'm thinking that Halverson is going to upset Gurgel's homecoming. Gurgel lost the last time he was in Ohio and I don't see him beating Halverson. I sure hope it doesn't end this way but I'm thinking Halverson by Unanimous Decision

  • David Bielkheden vs. Diego Sanchez

Sanchez won't lose three in a row. I think he comes out a little tentative, but ultimately he will pull it together. I see it as a unanimous decision with Sanchez winning.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Any of those fights going to be on Primetime? Did you hear that MMA will have 4 fights a year on primetime TV, opening with your boy Kimbo Slice!

Jason said...

No, none will be on Primetime. EliteXC is the promotion that made the deal to be on CBS on Saturday Nights. Kimbo will indeed headline the first event. They are trying to catch up with the UFC. UFC announced today that Bud Light will be a new sponsor.